Sotovento the westernmost area of the island , administratively belongs to the town of Krk .
Area Sotovento has always belonged to the town of Krk . Although in the Middle Ages was sparsely populated , there were several settlements , and on population in ancient times testify to the Roman remains around the Church of the Holy Fuska at sea and the names of some localities such as Kambun , and that the name derives from the ancient Roman dialect Krk Veclisun or Veljoto . Name starters Noliot considered the foundation of the younger and is thought to derive from another Roman Krk dialects spoken Murlaci , krčkorumunjskog language . When you are on an island in the 7th century came Croats settled first eastern part of the island . Eventually they spread to the west , however , except Poljica , which belong to the old Croatian terminology , other places on Šotovento was very small , in fact hamlets . Due to the later arrival of the Croats in this area , most of the Roman site called , not Slavic , ie Croatian origin .
When the 15th John VII century Frankapan when sharing many possessions and then the powerful Croatian feudal family , got possession of the island of Krk , he decided to settle in sparsely populated areas of the island Murlake , ie Vlachs from Velebit to increase tax revenue . Placed them in the area Dubasnica Sotovento and , to a lesser extent, in the north of the municipality Dobrinj . Most of today both its citizens Sotovento just have murlačkog origin . Their krčkorumunjski language or Murlačka beside eventually became extinct suppressed Croatian ie čakavica , but also Italian . The last speaker of this language was Mate Bajčić who died 1875th Mr.
Towards the end of the 19th century Dubasnica area is separated from the island of Krk posed by municipalities and became a separate municipality . Sotovento is still left under the town of Krk . When in 1992. Mr. island again divided into seven districts only problem area remained Sotovento . However , given that it has never been a separate municipality , there are no outstanding , the largest settlement that would be the center of the municipality , that is , then , less than one thousand inhabitants were too few to form a separate municipality , and considering that Sotovento has the weakest economic parts of the island , it it still remained within the City of.
The only notable buildings in the area Sotovento make numerous religious buildings :
– The third order Franciscan monastery with the church of St. Glagolitic . Mary from 1507th year . Glavotok . – Franciscan monastery on GlavotokuSv . Krševan – a small church near the highest category of Milohnići 9th c – The parish church in Poljice – St . Fuska at sea – was first mentioned 1388th year . When renovating, under and around the church were found Roman walls , bricks , tiles , amphorae and tombs . Since this is considered to be in Roman times there was a ” villa rustica ” Maritime Guard or the like . Specifically it is the titular church of early Christian saints . The church was built of rough stone . It has a barrel vault and the floor plan is rectangular . At the entrance is a triumphal arch made of brick with stone endings . The church has a loggia and bell tower . Today it is used on St. . Fuska and during the funeral for the village and the village is Skrbčići because it is next to it and a cemetery for the two villages . – St . Francis Skrbčići – It was built by some care at the end of the 16th or early 17th century . Twice it was restored and enlarged . Today is for believers from PINEZIĆI and Skrbčići . – The parish church of Sts. Fuska in Linardici – built 1885th with the previous year, as also the parish church of St . Fuska was far from the surrounding villages , the sea . In addition to that time and built several chapels in the villages Sotovento so is the church . Fuska at sea less visited. Therefore it was decided to build a new parish church in the center of some of the places to make it more accessible . Selected as Linardici , although there was strong resistance from the locals Skrbčići because they wanted to build a church in their village . Instead of building a brand new church , 1884. work started on the expansion of former chapel of St . Anthony, which was built in 1627th year . It seems that the main part of the chapel has been preserved as a shrine ( APSE ) new church . Altar of St . Anthony became a side altar , and the main altar was painted by Luke Valentini from Labin in 1889. year . In 1973. was expanded in the sacristy and renovated a large part of the church . – Chapel of St . Peter built the rapids in her 1693rd Juraj Nenadic Matov and his wife Kate Zako . At first they were in dispute with the table Kaptol in Krk and the monks at Glavotok . – Chapel of St . Leonard in Bajčići – built 1769th Mr. material from the eponymous chapel in Žgaljić . There are lodge. – Chapel of St . Cecilia in BRUSIC – 1565th years after it says it is ancient. Throughout history has been the subject of constant bickering in the early contenders .
Once in the area Sotovento there are other chapels :
– St . Nicholas at bay Biska . It was mentioned for the first time in 1338. year . Apostolic visitor Augustine Valier her 1579th was mentioned as abandoned , and belonged to a noble family Cikuta . It is mentioned later , but as abandoned . – St . Marine – She was first mentioned in the Vatican archives in 1338. year . It was located south of the church of St . Fuska also the sea . Later he mentioned several times in the sources , but as abandoned . Ruins are visible today . – St . Nicholas in Grmima end Skrbčići . It is mentioned 1565th year as abandoned , and the 1609th years as a ruin . It belonged to a noble family Cetinić ( Zuttinis ) of Krk. I still have not found her remains , and given the name ( ” the Grmima ” ) , probably was in a very overgrown area. – St . Ksista . It was between Skrbčići and Linardić . It was first mentioned 1277th , and is often mentioned later , but in 1338. as a partially derelict and 1603rd was also partly obsolete, but that it still held the Mass which is why it was still somewhat dependent . When it was built the chapel of St. Linardici . Anthony 1627th year , this is a deserted chapel . Today, there are side walls , facade and apse . – St . Leonard in Žgaljić – first mentioned in 1338. Mr. and already 1565th g is in poor condition and is in 18th c her material used to build a new chapel in Bajčići . – St . Sergius of BRUSIC – Bishop Peter Bembo he mentioned 1565th g , but only its foundations . They are still visible , and related it, and today there are religious traditions and prayers .
Apart from religious buildings are still significant :
– Near the monastery at Glavotok and protected forest reserve oak trees on approximately 1 hectare area – Above the bay Čavlena there are several oak trees that are believed to be the largest on the island. The largest among them is more than 400 years and range in trunk 5.4 meters .